For those of you who never had a Babysitter cancel, I envy you. For those of you who have (like us), this one’s for you!
Maybe you don’t have kids. Evening still, sometimes after a few years of being with your significant other, finding a date that you haven’t already had can be difficult. Especially if you live in a town where all there is are bars and a movie theater. B-ORING. So if your suffering from the “No-Place-To-Date- Blues” and you need some new ideas, this ones for you!
Forty date night ideas that are pretty inexpensive and don’t take a ton of planning.
My husband and I really try to take the time out at least once a month to have some “us” time aside from the kids, phones, work, Facebook, etc. It’s so important to help keep your relationship afloat, that you continue to grow your love, not just stay where it always has been. And it doesn’t always take much. Sometimes all you need is to dance in the living room until you giggle uncontrollably and you’ll find yourself falling in love all over again.
1. Nerf Battle Night: This one is simple! You might start by taking your frustrations of the day out on each other, but by the end of the night… you’ll be laughing for sure! You can play so many different ways. Start out on different sides of the house, READY.. SET.. GO! You can even play a round of Hunger Games. No matter how you play, just remember… YOU broke the vase, not the kids!
2. Cooking Together: Open some wine, and enjoy some time together in the kitchen. I suggest trying a new recipe that neither of you have cooked before, that way there is no pressure on the “non-cooker”.
3. Game Night: Twister, Life, Go Fish.. these are all “Fun and Games”. Or you can try making your own board game! That could be F-U-N! Here are some ideas I found:
4. Bucket Lists: Spend the evening over or after dinner discussing what is on each of your own Bucket Lists, and make one TOGETHER as a couple.
5. Fondue Night: Cheese or chocolate: you decide! One I guarantee one will end differently than the other. Is that such a bad thing?
6. Slumber Party: Remember how much you enjoyed going to a friends house, making pallets of blankets and pillows on the floor, shoving junk food and soda down by the fist-fulls, and watching movies all night? Well why don’t we do that when we are older? Throw on your PJ’s (or don’t) and put in a movie!
7. Formal Night: The glitz and glamour of prom. aahhhhh… For this date all you need is some music, some good grub, some candles lit, and your finest “black tie” attire. Get all dressed up to stay home and enjoy that slow dance with the one you love. He might even bring you flowers!
8. Movie Night: This one is a staple in our house. GO ALL OUT FOR THIS ONE! Find a movie you’ll both enjoy, pop some popcorn, grab some sweet treats and some drinks. I even push my “Love Seat” in front of our TV so we have front row seats. Make it feel like a theater in your own home. If you want to try something sentimental, put on the first movie you watched as a couple. Ours is, and I’m not ashamed to say this, The Sandlot. Oh yes!
9. Inside Camping: Put up the tent, keep the lights off, and spend the night laying and telling your favorite camp stories. This one is a huge plus for me.. Camping without the bugs, AND the bathroom is clean!
10. Karaoke Night: This one is great fun because you can be such a cheese ball and no one will know! Enjoy the fact that no one can see you mess up the lyrics to “Hit Me With Your Best Shot!”. I take no responsibility for broken crystal.
11. Your LOVE Story: Video tape yourselves telling the story of how you met and fell in love. Trust me, someday your kids are going to cherish this keepsake and it will really bring back some great memories!
12. Newlyweds: Play this game (even if your not newlyweds) just like the old favorite from TV. For this one you’ll need blank flashcards. You can ask each other questions and see juuuuust how much you really know each other!
13. Massage Night: This can be as elaborate or as simple as you would like. Set up a place in your home to look like a spa. Candles lit, soft music, fresh scents, warm sheets. Take turns pampering one another. (Pretending to fall asleep to get out of reciprocating is NOT suggested) They make all kinds of great massage oils out there too!
14. Would you Rather?: This was a old faithful game from High School days! You can make it as heavy or light as you want.
15. Homemade Ice Cream Parlor: Have fun with this one! You can find some amazing recipes for homemade ice cream, or you can get a few different flavors from the store and have “taste testing”.
16. Inside Picnic: This is a easy idea! Throw down a blanket and make it as elaborate as you want. A great idea is to use a white wall and a projector to watch a old black and white film.
17. Pinterest Night: Here is a FUN one! Both of you decide on a project: Matching Mugs, T-shirts, a painting, or build something. Anything would really work. The point is that your working on it together. Use your imagination on this one!
18. Video Game Night: My husband and I used to compete with Wii Sports all the time! We would get so in to it and even placed wagers!
19. Review Your Year: Take some time to dig through old photos and reminisce on your last years, accomplishments, trials, or celebrations.
20. Snowy Night: “Do you wanna build a snoooowmannn?” (I had to) Snow forts, snow ball fights, or even snow people self portraits… as long as its warm enough out, why not? Afterwards warm up by the fire with some hot cocoa.
21. Bubble Bath Night: Need I say more? How about you enjoy this one after #13?
22. Scavenger Hunt Night: What are you searching for? Each other!!! You each make up your own map of clues and take turns. This, of course, is something you’ll have to plan out in advance, but the prize at the end is pretty awesome.
23. Inside Fire “Pit”: Even if you don’t have a fireplace, you can use a unscented candle! Take turns melting marshmallows and snuggling up to the fireplace.
24. First Date Recreation: This one might take some planning. But try and recreate the restaurant, or coffee shop where you had your first date. I bet this one will bring back some flames.
25. Love Letter Night: Simple, but so meaningful. I know that sometimes it is hard to discuss emotions, but really try and write your loved one a love letter that will knock their socks off. Literally.
26. Build A Fort: Get out the blankets, and the string of lights. Who doesn’t like to make an awesome fort? While inside you can watch movies, talk, or even play some games!
27. Wine Tasting: It’s always fun to try new things. This one is no exception! Grab a few different bottles of locally made wine and decide which ones are your favorites!
28. Hide and Seek: What fun!
29: DIY Photo-shoot: Have fun with this one! Be creative and as appropriate, or not, as you would like!
30: Paint Portraits: This can be quite hilarious, especially if you can’t even draw a stick figure. But have fun with this one! Remember, no one else is EVER going to see this! Be as serious or quirky as you want!
31: Theme Night: Where have you wanted to travel? Rome, Paris, Italy? Make the food, wear the dress, and play the parts!
32: Time Capsule: Make a time capsule of the last year, or just of that day. Take the time to write each other letters, take a selfie, and create something that you’ll be warmed by 10 years from now.
33. Dream Vacation: While on your “Stay-cation”, take the evening to plan it all out. The place, the restaurants, the museums, etc.. As my husband would say, “Google is your friend. Look it up!”. Map it all down and vow to do it. Don’t be afraid to go BIG… that’s why its a dream.
34. Bake Goodies: Bake some goodies and decorate them! Easy as pie!
35. Family History Night: This one might be challenging, but it is rewarding. Look up your family history on any of the popular genealogy websites. Write it all out and draw up a Family Tree. Again, this is a great keepsake for you and yours. You can find great printables here:
36. Dream Home Design: One of our favorite things to do as a couple is dream big! We love to discuss and plan out what our future may look like, our hopes and dreams. A dream house is no exception. Draw out some floor plans, and browse through some magazines. Place it all in a folder and put it away for that special Someday.
37. Wrestling Match: Now I’ll be the first to admit.. I am NOT a fan of wrestling. But.. when it comes to my husband? SURE! Try this… one of you ties their legs together, and the other is blindfolded. HAVE AT IT! Once in a while trade off. Maybe invest in a safe word for this one.
38. 20 Questions: Again, what a fun way to get to know each other even more!
39. Sports Night: For all you sports lovers out there! Pick a game, old or new. Get some game day snacks and drinks. Wear your favorite jerseys. Heck, you can even make some fan signs if you want! Go Team!
40. Sushi Night: Not all sushi is raw!!! Why not decide what is in your roll!!! Here are some great recipes and tips!
I hope you have a great time on your “At Home” date! And remember, it doesn’t really matter what you’re doing. If you are with the one you love, that is what truly matters the most.