I did this project years ago, and have never blogged about it! However, it is one of my favorite crafts that I have done! Even though it is so simple, and cheap.. it looks very classy once all is said and done.
The only “store-bought” items were the paint, and burlap! Everything else I purchased at my local thrift shop. I really focused on looking for pieces that had unique handles. I wanted them to stand out against the burlap. So once I found these, I knew they were perfect!
DIY UPcYCLED Silverware Decor
frame of choice
burlap of choice
silverware of choice
Spray Paint color of choice
hot glue gun, and glue sticks
1. take your frame apart. Set aside the backing and glass. (DIS-GUARD glass) Clean the frame itself and silverware with hot soapy water. Dry well.
2. Once your pieces are fully dry, you can spray paint them! I actually hung my silverware on the clothesline, so that they wouldn’t stick. Be sure to use light airy strokes so that you don’t have any runs in the paint. Also, a heavy coat of paint can hide the delicate details in your pieces. leave to dry the suggestion time on the paint can.
3. while your pieces are drying, cut a piece of the burlap to wrap around the backing of the frame. you can either staple to the back, or you can hot glue the burlap on the edges so that the frame hides and glue exposed. This will keep the burlap from pulling at the weight of the silverware pieces.
4. Once your pieces are dry, you can assemble the frame. I would suggest doing this BEFORE you put on the silverware. That way you know for sure depending on the shape of your frame that the pieces actually fit where you want them.
5. Glue your pieces on in the direction or pattern that suits you!
I love how the handles of some of them have holes in the design. It really frames out the pieces nicely, using the negative space to work with it.
This is something that would look great on its own, or even on a feature wall. Whether in the dining room, or the kitchen. I think they would look great next to some industrial looking letters that spell EAT or something of that sort. The possibilities are endless! I can’t wait to find the perfect spot for this baby in our new home!
Depending on the look you want, or the color of your wall, choose a color that will really pop! Have fun with this one.. its hard to mess up something so simple!
If you are like some of my friends and can’t craft without gluing their fingers shut, or just simply don’t have a creative bone (or time). Let me know.. I’d be happy to take orders! Just click the link below!