Hey Everyone! Tiffany from over at The House Down the Lane gathered together over 20 bloggers to partake in a “One Room” Holiday Home Blog Hop! And of course, ’tis the season… I jumped right on that!
I wanted to show off my updated dining room! It’s still a work in progress because I am constantly changing the decor throughout the house, however I think it is especially better than it was previously! You can check out my previous Holiday Home Tour here! Let me know what you think!
For an older home, ours really has a nice open concept floor plan. We LOVE that about this home! Eventually we would like to turn the front garage that flows right on the other side of this dining room, into a family room. That way we can literally see from one end of the house to the other! Perfect. With little ones running around, it is hard to add full layers of decor. This room, along with others in our home, is simplistic and kid friendly!
The windows in this house are amazing. They are almost floor to ceiling and truly take the eyes up and out! It gives such an illusion so that the room actually feels larger than it is. These windows, plus the open concept are a perfect combination.
Check out this credenza! It is a really old piece that was part of a collection my Great-Grandparents had purchased once they were married. It was given to me and I truly cherish it! Not only because of the amazing connection to our family history, but because it is filled with trinkets that were also passed down. (including the china and crystal that I am using today!)
I really think the mixture of textures in this credenza centerpiece are amazing. Old photos of generations past, and a simple glass candle piece. The color of the light bounces right off the photo frame base and creates the magical glow. It makes you literally feel like you stepped in to one of the photos. Breathtaking!
I love this little skinny tree. It gives off a quaint vintage vibe. Once it is adorned with our traditional popcorn/cranberry garlands, and vintage ornaments mixed with some new… you can’t help but admire it. At one time I had the tree placed in the center of the two windows, however I really like how it balances out the room here in the corner.
This adorable little sweetheart bench was given to me from a dear friend. I was honored to have it in our home, and it quickly found a place in our new dining room. Originally it was a great way to keep the kiddos contained during meals, but I felt it deserved more of a front and center locale. I am in love with its new spot in front of the window!
Five years ago t was not our intention to have a mix match of chairs at our table. But… when we were first married, we were basically just happy to have chairs. ha! Over time the mix of chairs actually grew on us, and we love how it creates a unique twist to the traditional dining room.
For this cheerful centerpiece I seriously only spent $5.00!!! Seriously?! I found the base and candles at a thrift shop, re-purposed my own greens, and picked up the colorful berries at our local Dollar Tree! Can’t beat the price, and it looks fantastic! I also used those
cheap classy berries at each place setting. They reflect the gold trim of the dishes perfectly!
The dishes I used were given to me from my (this can be confusing) Grandmother’s Cousin. They were her Mothers! That means they were my Great-Grandmother’s Sister’s. Got that? OK… Moving on! ha!
I love the colors in this collection. My husband and I did some research and found that they were actually quite common in their era, and were created from the early 1920’s-1960. We found from the stamps on the back there have either been add on’s to her collection thru the years, or maybe she needed to have some replaced. There were many different pieces from different decades. Either way I love them. To some people it might deface the value.. but I think it adds a story. Yep… I’m that nerd.
The crystal that I used were wedding gifts to my parents, and were since passed down to me. I love them, but I am also half scared to use them! Once the kids are older, we will be bringing these puppies out to play more often.
Below you can see the adorable snowball like votive holder. These were actually a wedding gift for my husband and I from a dear friend. They live in Sweden, and brought these back for us! The company has a rich Swedish history, and these traditional pieces have a sweet story as well. You can read about that here.
I hope that you enjoyed stopping by! The more and more and I play around with the decor in this home, the more I fall in love with it.
While your here, please take a look at some of the other bloggers room tours! Each one of them brings a unique asset to the decor of the season! Everyone enjoys a little love from time to time. So if YOU fall in love with their space, leave them a comment and tell them Creatively Homespun sent you over!
1. Casa Watkins ~ Winter Home Tour, Part 3
2. Kolb Corner ~ Christmas Dining Room Tour and Holiday Homes Blog Hop
3. Green with Decor ~ 5 Must Haves for Christmas Decorating: The Family Room Christmas Tour
4. Karen’s Up On the Hill ~ Holiday Hallway and Holiday Homes Blog Hop
5. Twelve on Main ~ Farmhouse Christmas Dining Room Tour
6. The House Down the Lane ~ Holiday Homes Blog Hop: Red and White Christmas Dining Room
7. Creatively Homespun ~ A Vintage Christmas Dining Room
8. 2 Bees in a Pod ~ Guest Room Christmas Home Tour
9. Sew a Fine Seam ~ Dining Room Decked Out For Christmas
10. Knock It Off Crafts ~ Holiday Homes Blog Hop: Festive Master
11. Vintage Paint and More ~ Christmas Home Tour 2015, Part 1
12. Inside the Fox Den ~ Candy Coated Living Room
13. Penny Love Projects ~ Holiday Home Tour
14. Made In a Day ~ Mini Holiday Decor Tour
15. Refashionably Late ~ Holiday Home Hop
16. Pretty Practical Home ~ Simple (and Cheap) Holiday Porch Decor – Holiday Homes Blog Hop
17. Intelligent Domestications ~ Christmas Traditions Home Tour 2015
18. Our Crafty Mom ~ Outdoor Holiday Decor: Front Entry
19. Lehman Lane ~ Green and Gold Christmas Dining Room
20. C’mon, Get Crafty ~ 2015 Holiday Homes Blog Hop
21. My Pinterventures ~ 2015 Holiday Homes Blog Hop – Festive Family Room