This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #DamageFreeHoliday #CollectiveBias
The holiday season is almost upon us! We are slowing starting to pull out the decorations and planting the idea of Santa’s list with our kiddos. This will be our second Thanksgiving and Christmas in our home. I get so excited to decorate for the holiday in our home because there are so many nooks and crannies everyone being that it’s a really old home. I mentioned last year in my Holiday Home Tour that our stair banister is one of my favorite features in our living room. It is original to the 1920’s home and has rich wood that brings such a great elegance to the room!
I wanted to find a new way to decorate it this year! Last year I used greens to drape down the banister. So this year I wanted to create something softer. I scrounged into the bottom of my fabric bin and found some great pieces of old homespun fabric! Green and red.. yeeees! Score!
At first I was just going to tie scraps together and call it a day, but then I found a string of Mini Clear Lights and it sparked an idea! There is something magical about all the lights during the holiday!
My biggest challenge when decorating is finding a way to hang things without damaging our original woodwork or the plaster walls. With plaster walls it is hard to hang things because nails and screws can really damage the walls. I make sure to always keep a stash of Command™ Brand products along with all of our seasonal decorations. I change-up our decor at least 4-5 times a year depending on the season, so I need an option that doesn’t damage our space. Command™ Brand strips do just that!
So I pulled all my supplies together and this is what I came up with…
DIY Holiday Fabric Garland Tutorial
1/2 Yard of each color of Scrap Homespun Fabric
1 String of Indoor/Outdoor Mini Clear Lights
Command™ Clear Mini Hooks (I picked up two packs because of where I’m placing the garland.)
Command™ Clear Deco Clip (I used one of these packs so I could tuck and hide away the cord from the lights.)
- Test out your lights to make sure they work! Lay out fabric flat. Along one edge of the fabric cut approximately 1 inch into the fabric, every other inch down along the edge. This will create almost a fringe appearance. You can find a tutorial on how to do this here!
- Pull the tabs to tear each section straight down the fabric to create strips.
- Clean the strips of any loose frays and then cut into approximately 6-8″ long. You can eyeball this because if you create some shorter than the others it will give the garland more of a nonuniform look.
- Once you have your strips created and cleaned, you can take each one individually and tie it in a simple knot around the string of lights. I tied about 5-6 pieces of fabric in between each light. The more you place in between the lights the fuller the garland will look, and likewise for the opposite effect.
- Be sure that you follow the instructions per package to adhere your Command™ Brand hooks to the surface of choice.
- I placed my Command™ Brand Hooks approximately a 1′ of spaces apart.
- Wait at least 1 hour after you adhere your hooks BEFORE you place the garland to hang. This will insure that they will stay in place and give that strong hold that Command™ Brand is known for.
- Make sure that you don’t tug too much between the hooks creating too much tension. This will not only put stress in an unwanted angle to the hooks, but it will also make the garland lay awkwardly.
- I then used the Command™ Clear Deco Clips to nicely tuck the cord away and keep it in place along the back of the stairs.
- When removing the hooks, be sure to follow the package instructions.
I’m super excited about my simple DIY creation for the Holiday! It I think it has such charm and gives a great warming effect. Isn’t that what we all want for the holiday?
If you are looking to pick up some of these Command™ Brand Products head on over to your local Wal-Mart! They have all sorts of products depending on what your need is. They even have outdoor options! You’ll find them in the seasonal aisle!
A great way to greet our guests as this will be one of the first things they see as they come in! What are some places that YOU can use Command™ Brand Products? I would love to see your ideas!