This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Hi everyone! Who here has a traditional holiday morning breakfast? My late Mother’s birthday was Christmas Day. We always wanted her to have a day to herself too, so we made sure that at dinner time the table was cleared of all things Holiday and was turned into birthday! This meant that she was able to pick the meal and sometimes it wasn’t always the traditional meal. (Which was fine! Who wouldn’t like tacos or spaghetti on their birthday?)
This being said, we needed to have a time that we could all have a holiday meal together! Christmas morning always worked best. Between sausage balls, fresh fruit, danish, and egg casserole we would set a smorgasbord to different things so that everyone could have a full belly. This year I wanted to kick it up a notch and throw in a twist to the traditional breakfast casserole! This Make Ahead Mexican Breakfast Casserole is sure to wake up the family!
La Morena® products are a great way to utilize a well trusted and high quality ingredient to any of your meals! They offer many different types of products that are perfect for adding a Hispanic touch to your creations, as well as your holiday traditional meals. It creates a very unique bite to the “out of the box” recipe you may be used to! But who doesn’t love a surprise to the taste buds? Don’t forget to add a tickle to that taste bud and join in the fun for a sweepstakes that La Morena® is holding!
MAKE AHEAD MEXICAN BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
1lb of pork sausage
1 white onion -finely chopped
2/3 cup of each: green, red, yellow peppers
1/2 cup of La Morena® Sliced Jalapeños – then dice
1 can of black beans
1 can diced green chili peppers
1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese -shredded
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese -shredded
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 cups of hash browns -thawed completely
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In a skillet on your stove top, cook your sausage and onion together on a medium heat. Make sure it is cooked thoroughly before adding any other ingredients.
- Once sausage is cooked completely, add in your beans, jalapeno, all peppers, and seasonings. Turn off the heat.
- After you have completely mixed these in your skillet, add the hash-browns and cheeses. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream.
- In a 3 quart baking dish, lightly spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Add 1/2 of the sausage mixture to your dish, and carefully and evenly spread 1/2 of the egg mixture throughout. Finish by adding the remaining half of the sausage mix followed by the remaining egg.
- Bake uncovered for about 45-55 minutes. Your casserole will be cooked when egg is cooked completely in the center of your dish. Let sit for 30 minutes prior to covering and placing in refrigerator.
- When you are ready to serve, cut into individual servings and heat separately so that you don’t dry out your casserole. I threw on some extra jalapenos to garnish the top too! Enjoy!
I’m super excited about this one! Even if you don’t want to make a casserole, the ingredients work well by simply adding your scrambled eggs mixture right to the sausage mixture in the skillet and cook up! Then you can place the mixture inside some burritos shells and BAM! You have yourself another make ahead meal! Christmas morning can be pretty hectic, so by making this ahead of time you can really spend those extra moments with your loved ones. Even though it’s a super easy recipe… you’ll have ones less thing to worry about!
I found my La Morena® products in our local Walmart, but they do have their products sold nationwide! So check out your local grocery stores international aisle! I loved them so much, that I even garnished the top of the casserole with them diced up!
No matter what you choose to make or not make, or which ingredients to add… the big picture is spending that time together around the table or fireplace. Enjoy the holiday this year with the ones you love! Happy Holiday!!!
What is your favorite traditional or non-traditional holiday breakfast?