The day is officially here people! It’s the first week of the One Room Challenge! I’m pretty much geeking out because this was a goal of mine to challenge myself to do this amazing challenge for a while now. Many bloggers will gather together with Linda from Calling it Home over the next few weeks to challenge themselves to makeover a space and show our readers the progress as we go. The challenge takes place twice a year and is jammed packed full of talented folks. I couldn’t think of a better way to kick-start my jump back into blogging after taking some time off!
We moved into our home 3 years ago this summer and some of our spaces are “finished” (as much as they can be for an ever changing blogger). But there are spaces that we haven’t touched much. Not because we don’t have intentions, but because life happens and the rooms behind closed doors are less priority. When I was trying to decide what room to challenge myself on it was a toss-up between our Girl’s Room or the Master. So that being said, I feel like we need to treat ourselves! As a mom we tend to do for our families before ourselves, but my husband and I deserve a space that is set apart from the rest of the house, a place that we can rest, relax, and just be together. Not to mention we have yet to even hang things on the walls in this room… as a blogger that is unheard of, and just plain wrong!
I grabbed these photos from our realtor from before we moved in. You can see from the photos that our Master Bedroom is fairly small. It doesn’t allow much room for furniture, so I really want to make the best that I can of the space we have without making it crowded.
Some of the ideas that we have had are:
- Paint- We are going with a neutral. Because I like to change my mind like my underwear I want something that can be interchanging with the decor styles.
- Closet Doors- Out with the old, in with the new! We are ditching the mirrored sliding doors.
- Carpet- Right now there is gorgeous hardwood under the current carpet. But we are waiting until the kids are grown to allow these babies to breathe. A thicker pile neutral carpet will do the trick!
- Lighting- Right now we are using one small table lamp. The lighting is terrible and we are in desperate need of something more functional. Given that the space is smaller, our bedside tables will be smaller. So I don’t want to waste space by putting another table lamp up, instead we are going to look into wall scones.
- Window Treatments- Because we have neutral everything at this point, we want something that will pop color. I also need something that will block the light out. (Per hubby’s request!)
- Bedding- This one is up in the air… I haven’t decided which direction to go yet! Any suggestions?
- Side Tables- Oh boy! I’m excited for these! This will be an exciting post one of the weeks. I have been holding onto a project that is near and dear to my heart, special for this challenge! I don’t want to give too much away, but you’re going to love it!
- Wall Art and Decor- Again, this is a toss-up. I want something that is going to be bold and out of our ordinary, but also something that won’t feel too heavy on our walls given the smaller sized space.
I love this color scheme! It is sexy yet relaxing…
Here are some other spaces that we are using for inspiration!
You can also follow my Master Bedroom board on Pinterest!
Make sure to check back every Wednesday to see the progress of the challenge! I can’t wait to see how this space turns out. Also, be on the lookout for other bloggers posts. Each one is putting their heart into some amazing spaces and will be sharing their trails and triumphs each week.